Draper, Harper, Goodman, Call and Ridd

I have a family here on earth. They are so good to me. I want to share my life with them through all eternity...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gilbert, AZ, United States

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ridd Family Update

It has been a while since I have posted anything here - and I have a lot to report. Last week on Thursday morning I left for Girl's Camp at Camp Lo-MIA. I love Camp Lo- Mia. It is where I went to camp as a Young Woman and I was able to go there 3 or 4 times with the Mesa Stake on the Stake Staff. It is wonderful to have a Girl's Camp experience at a place that is dedicated to the Lord. There is a spirit there that you don't experience when you are having camp in the middle of a horse pasture (last two years). I had some amazing experiences and it was different but great to be gone over a Sunday and have Sacrament meeting outdoors. I didn't get much sleep as is normal at camp - maybe 2 or 3 hours each night. I was really looking forward to getting home and sleeping in my own bed. But... that was not to be....

As I was driving home from camp Monday morning, Alan called to tell me that he was in the hospital with Devon. While Alan was home teaching on Sunday, Devon decided to see how far he could jump down the stairs (we have 14). He put pillows at the bottom of the stairs and started jumping, getting higher each time. He ended at the 12th step, landed it twice but tried a third time and broke his leg/ankle in three places. He blew out both sides of his ankle, and broke the tibia which is the calf bone that is behind the fibula which is the schin. I think. He fractured the growth plate there. Alan took him to the ER at Banner Baywood (the old Valley Lutheran)- they had a terrible, painful experience as the tried to set it temporarily then they put him in an ambulance and moved him to Banner Mesa (the old Mesa Lutheran). He spent Sunday night there and saw a podiatrist Monday morning. I got there just in time to ride with him in the ambulance as they transferred him to Banner Desert (the old Desert Samaritan). They have a wonderful pediatric hospital there and we finally got hooked up with a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. He had surgery to re-set it again on Tuesday. The surgeon was able to do it without pins, plates or screws. We feel like that is really blessing. He will be in a wheel chair for 3 - 4 weeks and then on crutches for another 3-4 weeks.

We came home this afternoon and are trying to adjust to the changes. He will need help with everything, going to the bathroom, bathing etc... He will start school with the wheel chair - and is not looking forward to that. I, however, am looking forward to a good night's rest. After 4 nights in a cabin with young women and 2 nights sleeping in a chair at the hospital, I am exhausted. Tomorrow we will go to the surgeon's office for another x-ray and a new cast, a harder more permanent one. We were supposed to leave on vacation tomorrow for 12 days but have had to cancel those plans. We are all disappointed, but thankful that it wasn't any worse than it is. With what he was doing, we are lucky he didn't break his neck and end up in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

Anyway, that long story is what is going on with us. Joy, will you please tell Grandma what is going on. When do they plan on being home? Jeremy, thank you for sharing that letter from Phil. Dad sure loved him and talked about him a lot. Please share any others that you receive. Joe, Lynda and your families, we were going to miss the anniversary, and the shower because we were going to be out of town, now, I will have to miss them because of Devon's leg. I wish I could be with you. Lonny, you can't even imagine how much your visit meant to Devon, he thinks you are so cool for thinking about him like that.

My love to all of you.

Jolene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home